Monday, December 3, 2007

IPOD Mini - and CNET's IPOD Vs. Zune Review

First, I'm stoked that CNET did this review of the IPOD Classic and compared it to the Zune. I'm really tired of everyone just giving little 101's on whatever new IPOD is out now. The NY Times, Wired, etc., handles those nicely. Do I really need Topeka Monthly to waste 200 words and tell me there's a new IPOD out? No, but maybe you do?

Anyway, I have a love/hate affair with Apple. I first got into them through a PowerBook G4 Titanium, which worked incredibly well for five years before crapping out.

Mid-way through that though, I was given an IPOD mini (original version) as a gift.

For a long time I was a Sony MD fan, because I didn't own a computer and you can record onto MD's via optical jack from your stereo. But since I had the PowerBook, I could enter the world of MP3's, which made getting playlists dialed for the gym or snowboard trips much easier.

All of the other Apple products I've owned since the PowerBook have been defective right out of the box. This one was no exception.

First issue was the pause button wouldn't work. I could start playing music, but I couldn't stop it. I returned it, and on the new one, the menu button didn't work. The only way to make it functional was to hold down menu an toggle the hold button. Not rad.

Three separate times after, the thing just crapped out on me.

Thankfully, I was smart enough to buy the Apple Care Protection Plan, which meant I could return the thing for another year and a half or so, but that didn't help with my level of frustration.

I have say, while I am a fan of Apple, their quality seems to be spotty, especially on first generation products. Watch for entries down the line on my MacBook which suffered from Random Shut Down Syndrome and my new MacBook Pro, which is pretty good, but not as great as the PowerBook was (obvious differences in updated tech aside). Customer service has been hit or miss as well. Either really great, or really poor.

This IPOD, version five I guess for me, seems to be ok. Battery is fading, but it's more than three years old and that's to be expected.

Watch for me to blog about Mac's poor handling of the Random Shut Down Syndrome and other customer service snafu's on my other blog, Smoke & Mirrors Marketing.

No comments: