Friday, January 25, 2008

To Present Action Sports With Relevance, You Should Have an Action Sports Background

South of North just covered a fairly tame (could have been way more scathing) post about Steve Fischer being the Phil Mickelson of snowboarding. This comes on the heels of a very nice woman sending me info that was close to accurate about a great skateboarder, but just a little bit off... enough to make me laugh (she's one of the better PR people I've run across, so I won't call her out ;-).

Here's the deal. Jeep with their garage ads showing an old Burton Air from the early 90's in the garage, Honda Element with it's clueless "half-cab 540 comment" and other marketers (and media to some extent), just don't get it. When your features/ads/whatever are off, even just a little, we notice, mock and write you off.

It'd be the equivalent of me writing about a football game and saying a kicker shot come touchdowns for three points. Football fans know what I'm talking about, but don't I look a little bit silly?

There are a ton of marketing firms in action sports available for marketing consulting, not to mention a few bloggers like South of North. Pay the little extra to have your marketing dialed.

BTW- Know what would have made a great article, the Burton/Shaun comparison to Sims/Steve. That would have been worth reading.

Pic via the Aspen Times.

No comments: